About James M. Branum
I am an Oklahoma City-based attorney who practices primarily in the area of military law, through both my private solo law practice and my work with the Legal Support Project of the Center for Conscience in Action).
Besides my legal work, I also serve as the Minister of Peace and Justice of Joy Mennonite Church in Oklahoma City. And I’m a husband and a step-father to the world’s most awesome boy.
- Author of US Army AWOL Defense: A Practice Guide and Form Book
- Author of The History and Function of Property Exemptions in Oklahoma Law
My Curriculum Vitae can be downloaded here in PDF format (last updated January 2014).
Periodically I conduct continuing education trainings sessions for attorneys and paralegal counselors with the GI Rights Network.
CLE Trainings for Attorneys
I can provide CLE (continuing legal education) training for your local bar association or advocacy group. These trainings can be adapted to your local needs but most often serve as an introduction to military law for civilian attorneys who want to assist military servicemembers in their area. My past presentations have been approved for credit by the state bars of Oklahoma, Texas, California, Washington, Alaska and New Mexico.
GI Rights Counselor Trainings
These trainings normally run over a weekend and serve as an introductory training for new GI Rights paralegal counselors. I can do these trainings on my own or with other trainers from the Military Law Task Force.
GI Advocate Trainings
These trainings are much shorter (typically 3-4 hours) and serve as introduction for peace/veterans’ rights activists on the various resources that are available to assist Servicemembers in need.
If you are interested in me doing a training in your area, please contact me.
Past trainings have included:
CLE Trainings for Attorneys
- CLE “Representing soldiers who can no longer serve” in Anchorage, Alaska – taught with Peggy Herman and Margaret Stock (October 2008)
- CLE “Representing soldiers who can no longer serve” in Fairbanks, Alaska – taught with Peggy Herman and Margaret Stock (October 2008)
- Participated in two CLE panels at the NLG National Convention in Seattle (2009)
- CLE “Doing your first court-martial” at the Texoma Regional Convention in Killeen, Texas (2009)
- CLE session “Doing Justice: Representing Unpopular Clients” at the Thurgood Marshall School of Law in Houston (2011)
- CLE session “Army AWOL Defense” at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque (2011)
- CLE Session “Compare & Contrast: The Military vs. Civilian systems of criminal justice” live webcast and on-demand session in Oklahoma City (2017)
- CLE Session “Defenses, Mitigation, Extenuation and Aggravation as it relates to absence offenses under the UCMJ” (2017)
GI Rights Counselor and Advocate Trainings
- Introductory G.I. Rights Counselor training in Oklahoma City, OK (with Luke & Marti Hiken)
- Introductory G.I. Rights Counselor training in Manhattan, KS (with Luke & Marti Hiken)
- G.I. Rights Advocate training in Colorado Springs, CO
- G.I. Rights counselor training on AWOL policies at the GI rights Network conference in Atlanta, GA (2009)
- G.I. Rights counselor training on AWOL policies at the GI rights Network conference in San Francisco, CA (2010)
- G.I. Rights counselor training on AWOL policies at Under the Hood outreach center, Killeen, TX
- Advanced G.I. Rights counselor training for the Flint Hills GI Rights Hotline in Manhattan, KS (2011)
- G.I. Rights counselor training on AWOL policies at the GI rights Network conference in Fayetteville, AR (2012)
Other educational presentations
- Presentation on civilian practice before military courts at the University of Arkansas School of Law in Fayetteville (2010)
- Co-presented “How Does One’s World View and Faith Affect Career Choices?” at Oklahoma City University School of Law (2010)
- Presentation to the Bankruptcy Section of the Oklahoma County Bar Association (2012)